Friday, July 28, 2006

Drink Beer. Ride Faster. Lose the Tour.

Even non-cycling fans know that Floyd Landis is in some kind of trouble. An "A" sample of his blood showed a high level of testosterone after his heroic win during stage 17 of the Tour De France. Now, if the "B" sample also proves positive, that's not good. HOWEVER...

Could it have been the beer? Landis reported drinking a beer after his epic collapse during the 16th stage. Beer increases testosterone level in your blood, according to a study done in 1996.

Unfortunately, you have to drink a lot of beer to achieve the testosterone levels that he achieved. So unless his beer was really an entire keg, Floyd needs a different defense.

Seriously though, I hope it's not true. Not because I think he didn't do it, because, frankly, almost every cyclist dopes. There's a word for cyclists who don't: losers.

But I like Floyd. He seems like a good dude. He's a beer drinker. He gives me hope: I'm a beer drinker too, and someday, I, yes I, could win the Tour De France.

No comments: